UEFA have told Real Madrid that Sergio Ramos will not be suspended for the first leg of his team’s Champions League semifinal against Bayern Munich, according to director Emilio Butragueno.
Ramos was suspended for the second leg of the quarterfinal at home to Juventus on Wednesday after having been sent off in the first game and watched most of it from the Bernabeu stands.
However, television cameras showed the defender in the tunnel during the closing minutes, and he was involved in a discussion with Juve coach Massimiliano Allegri after a penalty was awarded to Madrid that Cristiano Ronaldo converted in the 97th minute to send his team through to the semis.
That brought the possibility of an automatic one-match ban for Ramos, as players are technically not allowed down to pitch level during games for which they are suspended.
But speaking from the draw after Madrid were again paired with Bayern, Butragueno told beIN SPORTS that his club had been informed no action would be taken as no rules had been broken.
“UEFA have told us there is no risk of a ban as there is not reason for one,” he said.
Former Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso was banned for a game in 2014 when, although suspended for the final against Atletico Madrid, he ran down the touchline to celebrate Gareth Bale’s goal in extra time.
UEFA have reportedly deemed Ramos’ actions as less serious as the defender did not reach the playing surface.